Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

"I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine--she helps me grow, prosper, and reach new heights." - Terri Guillemets
I originally started writing out thoughts for this a couple of weeks ago after attending the funeral of a dear friend's mom.  Going through something like that really makes you think about your own mom.  And seeing as today is Mother's Day, I thought it was a fitting day to share.
For anyone who has met my mom, you know that she is an utterly fantastic person.  I don't know that she realizes just how great she is (or perhaps she is just incredibly modest and humble).  So, since the power of words is infinite, I'm choosing to honour my mom and let the world know how I feel.
My mom has been taking care of others since she was young.  At the age of 10 she took over the running of the house when her mom was too ill to do so.  She's been a caregiver ever since (although I suspect that she has always thought about others before herself).  While she could have been a great many things professionally, she chose nursing, the ultimate care-giver role.  And she was an amazing nurse (I say was because she is now happily retired; however, she will always be a nurse in my mind).  Any of the patients who were fortunate enough to be in her care were grateful to have my mom there, as were many of the families.  She brought sunshine with her to work and would regularly spontaneously break out into song and dance to make the residents smile.  Granted, she does this at home, and I am frequently her dance partner.  :)  My mom passed this "helping" gene on to me and I honestly believe that some of my very best characteristics come from my mom.
I think that she focuses on her imperfections too much, and I so wish that she could see herself through my eyes.  At the end of the day, I am grateful beyond words that I have my mom on my side.  She lets me make mistakes but does not hesitate to listen to me and hug me when things go wrong.  She has deep seated compassion and to this day still wishes she had a magic wand that would take the pain and hurt away (and sometimes I wish she did too).  As long as I know that my mom is supporting me, I have the strength to get through.
If my mom is proud of me, she should also be proud of herself for nurturing me and guiding me into the person I am.  She (and my dad) never forced me in any particular direction and has always allowed me to find my way to the person I am.  But, she also instilled in me a strong sense of right and wrong and I come by my stubbornness (or is that determination?  *smile*) honestly.  I always say that with German and Scottish ancestry, I had no hope of being anything but hard-headed.  :)
When I look at my mom, I see strength and courage.  I see a woman who is so incredibly beautiful on the inside that it shines through when she smiles.  I see a woman who has no idea how much she touches the lives of those around her and how much she makes everyone's life that much richer because she's in it.  I see a woman that I would be proud to be.

2 comments:

  1. i hope i get to meet your mom. especially if she's as sweet as you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was extremely inspiring. Makes me think of my father since he is very similar to your mother. My condolences - she is now in a better place, smiling and dancing while watching over you. You have incredible strength and I know you can turn this grief into acceptance and happiness. I believe God has a plan for everyone, it was her time, she is now at peace and is waiting for you on the other side <3

    ReplyDelete